Whether you’re on a short trip or a long-haul flight across the country the food factor is main. How you will feel after landing depends on what kind of food you have taken before and during the journey. While flying through different time zones and varying temperature occurs and not everyone can adapt to it easily. As a result, most of the flyers get sick after long journeys. So, you should read some air travel tips and make your journey better.
What you eat and drink in the air will affect a flyer differently. Here in this article, we have collected some important information about the food from the nutrition experts. This advice on food will help you in staying more energetic and healthy during and after the flight.
Before the Flight:
Eating the wrong food before the journey can lead to an awful in-flight experience . Before the journey you should avoid these items as they can be heavy for you:
- Fast Food
- Baked beans
- Carbonated drinks
- Oily food
Make sure to glug down plenty of water before the flight to keep yourself hydrated. Eat as light as you can because it will help you in fend off jet lag also.
During the Flight:
It is better to eat nothing if you are flying for a short interval. But, the problem occurs in long haul flights because you can’t stay hungry for a long interval. You can eat when you are starving but make sure you eat the healthy items only. It will help you in adjusting with time zone and jet lag if you feel healthy and refreshed. By controlling some unhealthy food items you can easily adjust with the on-board environment.
- Protein Bars: Keep a supply of clean, nutrient-filled snacks in your carry-on. Snacks with plenty of protein are best to keep you fueled so bring protein bars to eat in the plane.
- Herbal Tea: To stay hydrated you need to drink plenty of water. But plain water isn’t the only option for you to keep some tea bags with you to have during the flight.
- Fresh Fruits & Vegetables: Chop up some fresh fruits and vegetables to eat on the flight. These are best to regulate digestion while flying.
- Yogurt: It is a good source of protein that helps in boosting the immune system.
- Vitamin C: Beverages that include vitamin c such as lemon water or tonic water is helpful in alleviating muscle cramp and boost the immune system.
- Coconut flakes: Coconut flakes are helpful in promoting restful sleep and increase hydration.
- Food outlets in airports have snack-sized yogurts and bananas, a good source of protein and natural sugar. These help you in feeling satisfied and energetic.
Things To Avoid During Flight:
- Salty Item: Consumption of salty items should be avoided because too much salt leads to dehydration.
- Starchy Food: It can create discomfort in the journey so it should be avoided.
- Spicy Food: It seems good to taste spicy food but on a long plane ride it can lead to discomfort.
- Coffee: Try avoiding coffee before and during the flight as it can cause anxiety.
- Alcohol: It is common to drink alcohol while flying but it can lead to unpleasant conditions so better to avoid.
Well these are some of the nutrition tips for a healthy journey. As fried foods, salty items can cause heartburn, anxiety, and swelling in your body while traveling so you must take care that you are not taking any of the above mentioned items.
1.> What I should eat before a long-haul flight?
- Chia seeds
- Brown Rice
2.> Why I should avoid eating heavy food before the flight?
Eating too much just before a flight is not good because it is difficult to digest and can lead to bloating, cramps in a pressurized environment.