Traveling via airplane is everyone’s need in this modern world. Air travel, either it is domestic or international have some rules and regulations for passengers.These rules are made for the safety of passengers. The airline restricts some dangerous items to transport so they have made a list of such restricted items. Also, for the convenience of the passengers, some of the items can be transported if they lie under the Airline Policy.Check the airline restricted items before you book a flight so that you can pack accordingly.
There is an exception for some items which includes alcoholic beverages, perfumes, medicines, and toiletries, battery cells and electronic items in the hand baggage. Items which are considered as dangerous goods are accepted subject to the quantity being limited. These restricted items in the airplane are described below:
Dry Ice can be taken as carry-on baggage only if it is not exceeding 2 kilograms (5 pounds) per passenger.
Alcoholic Beverages are allowed up to 5 liters (24% and 70% alcohol) per person in checked luggage. Alcohol less than 24% is not considered a subject of regulation.
Dangerous Articles: For safety reasons, dangerous articles must not be carried in passenger’s baggage. These articles include
- Compressed gases such as deeply refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable and poisonous gas are not allowed in the baggage.
- Acid, alkalis, wet cell batteries and apparatus containing mercury are not allowed.
- Flammable liquidslike lighter refills, lighter fuel, matches, paints, thinners, fire-lighters, lighters that need inverting before ignition
- Radioactive material, oxidizing materials, poisons and infectious substances such as insecticides are considered poisonous.
Some of the items are prohibited or restricted for the security purpose.
The items prohibited in hand baggage:
|Sr. No.||Particulars||Items Included|
|1||Personal Items||Lighters, Scissors-metal with pointed tips.|
|2||Sharp Objects||Box Cutters, Ice Axes, Knives, butter, Razor-type blades, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors, Sabres, and Sword|
|3||Sport Goods||Baseball Bats, Bows & Arrows, Cricket Bat, Golf Club, Hockey Stick, Ski Poles, and Spear Guns.|
|4||Guns and Firearm||Ammunition, BB guns, Compressed Air Guns, Firearms, Parts of Guns and Firearms, Pellet Guns, and Starter pistols.|
|5||Tools||Axes and hatchets, Crowbars, Hammers, Drills, Saws, Screwdrivers (except those in eyeglass repair kits), Wrenches and Pliers.|
|6||Martial Arts/Self Defense Items||Billy Clubs, Black Jacks, Brass Knuckles, Mace/Pepper Spray, Martial Arts Weapons, Night Sticks, Martial Arts/Self Defense Items, Stun Guns/Shocking Devices.|
The items prohibited in the cabin as well as checked in baggage:
|Sr. No.||Particulars||Items Included|
|1||Explosive Materials||Such as Flare Guns, Gun Lighters, Gun Powder, Explosive material, Blasting caps, Dynamite, Fireworks, Hand Grenades, Plastic Explosives and Realistic Replicas of Explosives.|
|2||Compressed gases||Butane, Oxygen, Liquid nitrogen, and Aqualung cylinders.|
|3||Flammable Items||Aerosol, Fuels, Gasoline, Gas Torches, Lighter Fluid, Strike anywhere matches, Turpentine and Paint Thinner.|
|4||Oxidizing materials||Bleaching powder and peroxides.|
|5||Poisonous and infectious substances||Insecticides, weed-killers and live virus materials|
|6||Radio-active materials||Acids, alkalis, mercury, wet cell batteries (except in wheelchairs).|
|7||Other dangerous articles||Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices|
Know about Restricted Items: Click Here
Cabin Baggage Allowance:
Cabin Baggage dimensions mentioned by Air India is;height 55 cm (22 inches) + length 35 cm (14 inches) + width 25 cm (10 inches) i.e 115 cm in total.
In the cabin only a single piece of hand baggage is allowed weighing up to 8 kg max. Air India Checked Baggage Allowance for to/ from USA Passengers with piece concept.
Carriage of “Powder like substances” in Carry-on Baggage on all US-bound flights:
Carriage of powder like substances in Hand Baggage by passengers traveling to destinations in USA is subject to the following conditions:
Carriage of any Powder or Powder like substances:
- 12oz (350ml) or larger is prohibited, except for the powders that are medically prescribed, baby formula and human remains.
- Such powders must be sealed in containers and will be inspected for signs of alteration.
- Powder like the substance of any quantity can be transported as checked baggage.
|Free Baggage allowance for travel between India and USA on Air India operated flights except EWR|
|Free Baggage Allowance (Checked)||First and Executive Class: 2 pieces not exceeding 32kg / 70 lbs each.Economy Class: 2 pieces not exceeding 23 kg / 50 lbs each.|
|Excess Baggage Charges (Per piece)||More than 23 kgs up to 32 kgs (51-70 lbs) – USD 120 per piece.
3rd and each additional piece 23kgs (51 lbs) – USD 240 between India and US.
|Excess Baggage allowance in Economy Class for Second piece for travel between India and Newark (EWR) and Interior parts of USA and Canada over EWR on Air India operated flights.|
|Baggage||Extra Piece (0-23 Kgs) – USD 100
Overweight: More than 23Kgs up to 32Kgs (Single Piece) –
|Excess Baggage Charges (Per piece) for Second check-in Baggage||USD 100
Oversize :158 cm to 203 cm (Single Piece) – USD 100
Oversize Baggage Fee between India and USA
- If your oversize baggage has an additional piece and less than 62″ in total linear dimensions then there is a fee of USD 240 to/from Chicago/JFK/EWR/San Francisco/Washington.
- If oversize baggage (including TV) is part of the free baggage allowance and is more than 62″ and within 80″ in total linear dimensions the fee is USD 240 to/from Chicago/JFK/EWR/San Francisco/Washington.
- On the other hand, if the oversize baggage is an extra piece and it measures between 62″ to 80″ in total linear dimensions, charges are USD 480 to/from Chicago/JFK/EWR/San Francisco/Washington.
- Besides that, if oversize baggage (including TV) is part of the free baggage allowance and is more than 80’’ in total linear dimensions the fee is USD 720 to/from Chicago/JFK/EWR/San Francisco/Washington.
- If your oversize baggage has an additional piece and it is more than 80″ in total linear dimensions the fee is USD 720 to/from Chicago/JFK/EWR/San Francisco/Washington.
Baggage Dimensions for Economy Class Passengers:
- Two pieces of luggage, the total combined dimensions (l + b + h) of both pieces should not exceed 273cm (107 inches). Also, the linear dimension of each piece should not exceed 62 inches.
- The weight of each bag must not exceed 23 Kg.
Baggage Dimensions for First and Business Class Passengers:
- The sum of the dimensions (l + b + h) for each piece must not exceed 62 inches or 158.
- The maximum weight for a single piece of baggage is 32 kg.
Know more: Click
- What is allowed in Air-India Cabin Baggage?
Ans: Air India provides the FreeHand baggage allowance of 8 Kgs. In addition to this one piece of cabin baggage or package is also be allowed to carry one following personal item, subject to Security Regulations.
- Does Air India allow extra baggage?
Ans: Excess baggage is simple the additional weight you are willing to carry beyond the permitted Free Baggage Allowance. Well, you are allowed to carry extra-baggage in all Air India’s international flights. Besides that, you can make a payment and purchase a baggage allowance. The maximum limit is 5 Kgs for economy class.
- What are 2 piece baggage allowances?
Ans: Passengers in Economy class are allowed to 2 baggage pieces with a maximum combined weight 30kg. Besides, passengers travelling in Business & First Class guests are allowed to carry two bags with a maximum weight of 50KG.
- What items are not allowed in checked luggage India?
1.> Ice axes or meat cleavers
2.> Bows and arrows
3.> Cattle prods
7.> Liquid chemicals
8.> Fire extinguishers
- Can I have a phone charger in my hand luggage?
Ans: Never pack your portable charger (power pack) in hold luggage. Carrying a portable phone charger (power pack) on a plane is fined. So remember to pack it in your hand luggage.