Nobody wants to spend extra hours with TCA officers. Yes many of the passengers have to face this problem on the airport. This generally happens because of extra carriage or carriage of prohibited and restricted items. Every airline has a list of things which are not allowed to be carried along while flying. So it’s better to check in advance and save your and airport officer’s time. Sometimes this may put you behind the bars or investigation. Keep all things in your mind while booking your flights to India. Generally explosive things, sharp objects, flammable and radioactive materials like things are not allowed, let us check in details about each airline.
(1) Air India:-
Here is the list of the things which are not allowed to carry while flying in Air India Flights.
Sharp objects are not allowed in Air India flights. It includes Box Cutters, Meat Cleavers, Ice Axes,Ice Picks, Knives (any length and type except round-bladed, butter, and plastic cutlery), Razor-type blades such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors, Sabres and Sword. If you have packed anything accidently on incidentally in your bag then don’t take risk and unpack it without any second thought.
Sporting goods like baseball Bats, Bows and Arrows, Cricket Bats, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks, Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Cues, Ski Poles and Spear Guns are not allowed in Air India Airways.
Guns and Firearm
Guns and Firearm are strictly prohibited in Air India Flights. If you have any of the above listed materials then remove them instantly from your bag. It includes Ammunition, BB guns, Compressed Air Guns, Firearms, Parts of Guns and Firearms, Pellet Guns, Realistic Replicas of Firearms, Starter pistols.
Tools like Axes and hatchets, Cattle Prods, Crowbars, Hammers, Drills (including cordless portables power drills), Saws (including cordless portable power saws), Screwdrivers (except those in eyeglass repair kits), Tools (including but not limited to wrenches and pliers), Wrenches and Pliers are also restricted in Air India Flights.
Martial Arts/Self Defense Items
Martial Arts or self defense item like Billy Clubs, Black Jacks, Brass Knuckles, Kubatons, Mace/Pepper Spray, Martial Arts Weapons, Night Sticks, Nunchakus, Martial Arts/Self Defense Items, Stun Guns/Shocking Devices and Throwing Stars are restricted.
Explosive materials like Flare Guns, Gun Lighters and Gun Powder, Explosive material are not allowed. Furthermore blasting caps, Dynamite, Fireworks, Flares (in any form), Hand Grenades, Plastic Explosives and Realistic Replicas of Explosives are also not allowed.
Compressed gases such as Butane, Oxygen, Liquid nitrogen and Aqualung cylinders are prohibited. Deeply refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable and poisonous are restricted in Air India Flights.
Flammable items like Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities), Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel), Gasoline, Gas Torches, Lighter Fluid, Strike anywhere matches, Turpentine and Paint Thinner and Realistic Replicas of Incendiaries are not allowed in Air India Flights.
Oxidizing material such as bleaching powder, peroxides are strictly prohibited in flights. So avoid carrying this kind of material along with you.
Poisonous and infectious substances
Don not carry poisonous substances like Such as insecticides, weed-killers, and live virus materials in flight.
Radioactive materials like Such as acids, alkalis, mercury, wet cell batteries (except those in wheelchairs), oven or drain cleaners are prohibited while flying.
Other dangerous articles like magnetized, offensive or irritating materials are prohibited. Briefcases and attaché cases with installed alarm devices are also not allowed.
Carriage of Battery cells
The carriage of battery cells in hand baggage for any electrical/electronic items is allowed now and it will now not be removed at the security point. Besides those batteries spare/loose, including lithium-ion cells or batteries, for portable electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. If you are carrying lithium metal batteries then the lithium metal content must not exceed 2 g and for lithium-ion batteries, the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh. Articles that have the primary purpose as a power source, e.g. power banks are considered as spare batteries. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. Each person is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries.
Carriage of ‘Kirpan’ By Sikh Passengers
As we all know that “Kirpan” is a religious symbol in Sikhism, so it is allowed to be carried by Sikh passengers but the dimensions of the ‘Kirpan’ must not exceed a total maximum length of 9 inches (22.86 cms.), including the length of the blade not exceeding 6 inches (15.24 cms.) and the length of the handle not exceeding 3 inches (7.62 cms).
Check the restricted items in Emirates airlines.
First of all powders under 350 ml milliliters may be subject to additional screening.
- All liquids, gels and aerosols, pastes, lotions, creams, drinks and other items of similar consistency must be in containers with a capacity no greater than 100 ml milliliter. If the carried containers are larger than 100 ml milliliter then they will not be accepted, even if the container is only partially filled.
- These containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding one liter. Larger bags or bags that are non-sealable, such as fold-over sandwich bags, are not allowed.
- You will need to present the plastic bag for visual examination at the security screening point. Only one bag per customer will be permitted.
- Exemptions will be made for medications, baby milk or foods, and special dietary requirements, but you will need to show an appropriate means of verifying the nature of these items.
Sports equipment and musical instruments
Emirates airlines provide no special free baggage allowance for the carriage of musical instruments. But the musical instruments can be carried on Emirates flights in three different ways:
- Firstly, as normal checked baggage which will be subjected to the usual limitations.
- After that, as normal cabin baggage, subject to the usual limitations
- Musical instruments are also allowed to carry as cabin baggage on an unoccupied seat in the passenger cabin if the instrument is within the usual size and weight limits for carry-on items. They are also allowed to carry on a paid-for seat in the passenger cabin if the instrument exceeds those limits.
Personal motorized vehicles are not allowed on board
Emirates airlines can’t accept personal motorized vehicles such as hover boards, mini-Segways and smart or self-balancing wheels on their flights. We can’t carry them either as checked-in baggage or as hand luggage as they contain large lithium batteries. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to Emirates flights from an airline that has accepted them. This is because of the safety reasons.
Restricted items and dangerous goods
|List of Restricted Items|
|Real or toy weapons|
|Arms and ammunition|
|Anything containing explosives (e.g, fireworks or fire crackers)|
|Knives of any kind, type, shape or size|
|Razor blades and straight razor blades|
|Hypodermic needles and syringes|
These are some important restricted items by Emirates airways
(3) Singapore Airlines:-
Here is the list of the items which are prohibited in Singapore airlines.
- Singapore airlines not allow explosive items, fireworks, munitions, flares, Christmas crackers, sparklers, party poppers and pyrotechnics in the carry bag.
- After that, lithium batteries or pyrotechnic materials are also not allowed.
- Compressed gases (flammable, non-flammable, or poisonous) such as butane, propane, aqualung cylinders, lighter fuels, or refills are prohibited by Singapore airlines.
- Lighters (butane, absorbed fuel, electric, battery-powered, novelty) are also restricted to carry.
- Oxidizing substances such as bleaching powder and peroxides are not allowed in carry baggage.
- Never pack flammable liquids such as paints and adhesives in your bag.
- Don’t carry flammable solids such as safety matches and articles which can be easily ignited.
- Disabling devices such as mace or pepper sprays, with irritant properties are prohibited.
- Poisons such as arsenic, cyanides, or insecticides are not allowed.
- Radioactive materials are strictly prohibited.
- Also, corrosive materials such as mercury (which may be contained in thermometers or blood pressure gauges,) acids, alkalis, and wet cell batteries are not allowed to carry.
- Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs) is not allowed.
- Firearms/parts of firearms such as revolvers, rifles, imitation firearms, pellet guns, ball-bearing guns, barrels, and trigger assembly are not allowed.
- Ammunition including blank, spent / empty cartridges are not allowed.
- Never carry toy guns (replicas and imitation firearms that may be mistaken for real weapons)
- Any other substances which, during a flight, present a danger not covered above, such as magnetized, offensive, or irritating materials is restricted to carry.
- First of all knives (including hunting knives, swords, and pocket knives) are strictly restricted.
- Scissors and any other sharp/bladed objects (e.g. ice-pick, nail clippers, embroidery, crocheting and knitting needles) considered illegal so don’t dare to carry them.
- Besides those weapons like whips, nan-chakus, baton and stun guns are not allowed.
- Don’t carry handcuffs.
- Sporting equipment such as baseball/cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, billiard cues are not allowed to carry.
- Devices with spillable batteries are not allowed.
- Apart from all these aerosols (hair sprays, perfumes, medicines containing alcohol) exceeding 0.5 KG or 0.5 L per article and 2.0 KG or 2.0 L in total weight are not allowed.
- Release valves on aerosols must be protected by a cap or other suitable means to prevent inadvertent release of the contents, otherwise, they are not allowed.
- Electronic devices that cannot be switched off (e.g. Furby toys) are restricted in the plane.
- Furthermore Toy guns that do not resemble weapons, such as plastic water guns
- Any other items which are deemed security hazards by local law are also restricted.
- Items that resemble or have similar functions to the above items are restricted.
- E-cigarettes and Lithium Batteries are not allowed.
- If you are carrying a Lithium battery then it must not exceed 160 Wh.
- After that, Lithium battery must be removable but may remain installed in the device.
- The baggage must be within the cabin baggage allowance.
- All transmitting functions (example: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi) must comply with the PED restrictions in the onboard Passenger Safety Information Card.
- First of all Lithium battery must be removed and carried into the cabin.
- After that Lithium battery must not exceed 160 Wh.
- Also, each passenger can carry a maximum of 2 spare lithium batteries of 100-160Wh into the cabin.
- Powder-like substances 350ml or larger are also subjected to additional screening and are prohibited in the cabin. e.g
- Talcum Powder
- Ground Coffee
- Liquids, aerosols and gels are allowed in cabin baggage if they’re kept in containers of not more than 100ml each, even if the containers are only partially filled.
(4) United Airlines:–
|UNITED AIRLINES’ RESTRICTED ITEMS:|
|Avalanche packs||Avalanche packs that contain 1.4s and CO2 are not allowed in carry-on or checked baggage.|
|Lithium batteries||Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight.|
|Camping equipment||Camping equipment that contains fuel, such as camping stoves, is not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage|
|Defense Sprays||Mace and pepper sprays are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.|
|Dry Ice||Click here High-value, Fragile and Perishable Items(https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/fragile.html)|
|Dry Shippers & Liquid Nitrogen||Liquid nitrogen is permitted in checked and carry-on baggage. However, it cannot be accompanied by an item that is considered a dangerous good, such as an infectious substance.|
|Explosive Material, Firework||Fireworks, gunpowder, flares, flare guns and fireworks novelties such as holiday poppers or “Christmas crackers”|
|Firearms||Not allowed* (Read in Details)(https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html)|
|Gasoline-powered tools and equipment||Gasoline-powered tools and equipment, such as chainsaws and gas-powered weed cutters, are not allowed in baggage unless they are brand-new|
|Household Items||Household items which are flammable or corrosive.|
|Recreational self-propelled vehicle||any recreational self-propelled vehicle or device designed to carry one or more persons or goods, and which moves by use of a lithium battery-powered electric motor is not allowed|
|Life jacket||United accepts one carbon dioxide (CO2) powered inflatable life jacket as checked or carry-on baggage. CO2 cartridges must be packed in checked baggage.|
|Lighters, E-cigarettes, Matchbox||Torch lighters, E-cigarettes, Matchbox are banned from carry-on baggage.|
|Ready-to-eat meals||Ready-to-eat meals (MREs) are not allowed in carry-on or checked baggage due to the heat they generate.|
|Scuba Tanks||Tanks under 450 PSI are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.|
|Self-balancing battery-powered luggage||In the interest of safety for our customers and employees, we do not accept self-balancing, riding luggage as checked or carry-on baggage.|
|Shock absorbers||Shock absorbers contain compressed gas or residual vapors or gasoline, and therefore are not permitted in checked or carry-on baggage.|
|Smart bags||smart bags with non-removable lithium batteries are not allowed on United or United Express®|
|Stun guns||Not allowed|
|Sports Equipment||Read More (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html)|
|Wet Ice||Not allowed|
|Dry ice||Dry ice in quantities greater than 5.5 pounds is Not allowed|
|Beverages less than 24% alcohol by volume||No Restriction|
|Beverages from 24%-70% alcohol by volume||5 Liters/Customer, Must be in Receptacles smaller than 5 Liters|
|Beverages More than 70% alcohol by volume||Not Allowed|
These items are restricted by United Airways
United Airlines accept seafood as checked baggage if the following conditions meet
- Seafood is accepted only if it is wrapped in a sealed protective material and packed in a leak-proof container.
- Seafood will is not accepted if packed in wet ice or if packed in a Styrofoam container.
- Finally, seafood carried in addition to baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge. In addition, seafood is subject to overweight and oversize charges.
(5) American Airlines:-
|Alcoholic beverages over 140 proof||Not Allowed|
|Alcoholic beverages over 70 percent by volumeExpand||Not Allowed|
Automobile, boat or aircraft batteries
|Portable electronic devices containing cells or batteries (including lithium) and spares for these devices not intended for personal use:||Not Allowed|
|Gas torches (including micro-torches and torch lighters)||Not Allowed|
|Flammable glues/epoxies||Not Allowed|
|Chain saws||Not Allowed|
|Spray starch||Not Allowed|
|Drain cleaners||Not Allowed|
|Oven or bathroom cleaners||Not Allowed|
|Balance wheels||Not Allowed|
|Electric small scooters||Not Allowed|
|Intelligent scooters||Not Allowed|
|Box cutters||Not Allowed|
|Vapor cigarettes||Not Allowed|
|Flares/flare guns||Not Allowed|
|Swingless golf club load strips||Not Allowed|
|Recreational Marijuana||Not Allowed|
|Medical Marijuana||Not Allowed|
|Electric wheelchairs with spillable batteries||Not Allowed|
|Spray cans||Not Allowed|
|Propane tanks||Not Allowed|
|CO2 cartridges||Not Allowed|
|Self-inflating rafts||Not Allowed|
|Recreational oxygen||Not Allowed|
|Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices||Not Allowed|
|Flameless meal products such as Heater Meals||Not Allowed|
|Meals Ready-To-Eat (MREs)||Not Allowed|
|CO2 cartridges for inflation purposes||Not Allowed|