Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy & Prohibited Items
Traveling via air has become a need nowadays either it is international or domestic. Air travel perks can be used when you are familiar with the baggage policy of Lufthansa airline.
No one is happy to open the bags at the airport to remove some stuff from it because you have packed extra. It happens with many people only due to lack of awareness. Otherwise for extra baggage get ready for the lufthansa¬†extra¬†baggage¬†fee.
Things become much sorted when you are aware of all the information regarding traveling through air, especially the baggage policy. It is one of the main aspects as it may lead you to leave the flight only due to your unawareness of baggage policy. You are not allowed to fly if you are carrying prohibited items in your baggage.
Whether it is¬†Lufthansa first class or business class luggage, there are rules and policy for that. There are limitations on what you can carry and what you can‚Äôt in your carry and checked-in baggage.
Different factors such as weight, the number of items and dimensions depends on the type of class you are flying.
Before your next Lufthansa flight be sure you to check the policy and restricted items. Some of the Lufthansa baggage policy and limited items are discussed below:
Lufthansa Carry-On Baggage Allowance:
As carry-on baggage, passengers are allowed to take one item of baggage; it can be a trolley, foldable bag a garment bag.
|Class||No. of Pieces||Weight Limit|
|Economy Class||1 piece||8 kg|
|Business Class||2 pieces||8 kg each|
|First Class||2 pieces||8 kg each|
Dimensions for carry-on baggage is max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm¬†
Dimensions for foldable garment bags is¬†max. 57 x 54 x 15 cm
Lufthansa Checked-Baggage Allowance:
|Class||No. of Pieces||Weight Limit|
|Economy Class||1 piece||32 kg|
|Premium Economy Class||2 pieces||32 kg|
|Business Class||2 pieces||23 kg each|
|First Class||3 pieces||23 kg each|
Free-Baggage Policy of Lufthansa Airline:
- The maximum size per piece for free baggage is 158 cm i.e l+b+h. If the dimension exceeds than 158 cm then the baggage is the subject to additional charges.
- Bags heavier than 32 kg are not considered as baggage. They are transported as freight. Even there can be sports baggage that exceeds the free baggage allowance. For that you have to register for your excess baggage.
- This is because there is limited space for the baggage in the plane so you have to ensure the space before your departure date. It is advisable to make your early reservations for the excess baggage.
- Here the dimensions and allowance for a carry-on baggage are listed.
- Dimensions for carry-on baggage: max. 55 x 40 x 23 cm
- Dimensions for foldable garment bags: max. 57 x 54 x 15 cm
- Economy Class – 1 item of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg
- Premium Economy Class – 1 item of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg
- Business Class – 2 items of carry-on baggage, each up to 8 kg
- First Class – 2 items of carry-on baggage, each up to 8 kg
Access Carry Baggage
In Economy/Premium Economy Class, a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when it weighs more than 23 kg (up to a maximum of 32 kg) and/or is larger than 158 cm (the sum of width X + height Y + depth Z up to a maximum of 292 cm). In Business/First Class, a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when it is larger than 158 cm up to a maximum of 292 cm in total.
When you can consider your baggage as an excess baggage?
- For Economy and Premium Economy Class, a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when the weight exceeds 23 kg- 32 kg and total dimensions greater than 158 cm.
- In Business/First Class a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when its total dimensions are greater than 158 cm.
- For excess baggage flat rates¬† may apply.
Items which are considered dangerous as per Lufthansa airline are prohibited to carry in plane as carry as well as checked baggage.
For reasons of safety, the following items are prohibited:
- Acids, alkalis, and wet cell batteries
- Gas containers for example self-defence sprays
- Flammable liquids such as lighter fuel, paint, cleaning agents
- Petrol-operated equipment and tools for test purposes
- Camping stoves, gas cylinders
- Explosives, fireworks
- Weapons e.g. stun guns
- Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances, such as mercury, bacteria and virus cultures
- Oxygen generators, liquid oxygen
- Strike anywhere matches
- Battery-powered ¬†devices like hoverboards, Solowheels, electric bicycles
- Oxidising substances, such as bleaching powder and peroxides
- Substances that emit flammable gases upon contact with water
- Radioactive materials
- Strongly magnetic materials
- Dry ice in excess of 2.5 kg
Know about Economy Light:
Travel lighter and save: In case you are flying with a carry-on baggage only then you can enjoy a great-value trip with new Economy Light fare in Lufthansa. Besides one item of carry-on baggage, the Light fare has no free-baggage allowance for you. But you can add one piece of checked baggage to your booking for a fee.
For Details: Click¬†
Lufthansa offers a limited allocation for sports equipment. Therefore you are advised to make a reservation for your desired item(s) of sports equipment as soon as possible at your travel agency or through the Lufthansa Service Centre. The registrations are only accepted until 24h before the departure and the limited capacity for sports equipment may already be exhausted. You also need to give your booking code when making the reservation.
Please settle any flat rate payments that may arise directly at a Lufthansa Service counter at the airport. Furthermore sports baggage can be counted as a free baggage as long as the number of items and the weight do not exceed the free baggage allowance assigned for your travel class. This does not, however, apply to the Economy Class Light fare.
For Details: Click
Also, some of the items are restricted for the safety procedure of the passengers.
|Type||Items included||Checked baggage||Carry-on|
|Medical equipment||¬†Inhaler, ventilator||Yes||Yes|
|Portable electronics devices with lithium||¬†Watches, calculators, cameras, mobile phones, laptop||Yes up to 100 Wh or 2 g||Yes up to 100 Wh or 2 g|
|Pacemaker||Radio-isotopic cardiac pacemakers||No||Yes|
|Flammable liquids||Small quantities of flammable liquids||Yes||Yes|
|Spare cell system and fuel cartridges||Yes||No|
|Flammable objects||Safety matches or lighters||No||Only with the person|
|Gas||Gas cylinder, non-flammable||Yes||Yes|
|Diving, snorkeling¬† equipment||Yes||No|
|Gas cartridges, non-flammable, non-toxic||Yes||Yes|
|Avalanche rescue backpacks||Yes||Yes|
|Gas cylinder, non-flammable||Yes||Yes|
List of things allowed only in carry-on baggage:
‚ÄčLithium-ion spare batteries
Please note: Power banks and similar devices used as an energy source are considered to be spare batteries and may therefore not be carried in checked baggage.
- Air Flight Booking (14)
- Airline Reviews (18)
- Airport Reviews (13)
- Business Class Travel (1)
- Canada to India Flights (9)
- Cancellation Policy (6)
- Cheap flights to india (16)
- Do You Know (42)
- Last Minute Flights To India (7)
- Late Night Flights (2)
- latest (19)
- NEWS (218)
- Non Stop Flights (1)
- Pet Travel Policies Of Top Airlines (1)
- Restricted Items (1)
- Travel India (6)
- Travel Tips (49)
- Uncategorized (1)
- US to India Flight Deals (4)
- USA to india business class flights (15)
- USA To India Flights (15)
- Visa Information (4)