Detroit is an impressive international airport, where you can see over 30,000,000 passengers per year go through its North and McNamara Terminals. Whether you are a seasoned traveler or a newbie, this guide helps you to get here, where to park and eat, and also helps to know about the relaxation tips. You can get to this airport with minimal stress.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport has been featured in many movies and TV shows. In the holiday season, you can hear holiday music in the colorful tunnel under McNamara Terminal. And during the rest of the year, expect to hear Motown. So the following helps you to get at the airport easily in various ways.
How To Get Into Town From Airport
SMART unveiled a new service called FAST, which goes from downtown to the airport via Michigan Avenue in about an hour. It stops at both terminals. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get to downtown Detroit from the airport depending on traffic.
A taxi ride runs to downtown and taxis can be found at the Ground Transportation section right outside baggage claim. Passengers can take ride services with Lyft or Uber if you need to go to Ground Transportation. It is just across the sky bridge where you can arrange a ride by meeting at the Ride-Sharing spot.
Where To Park
Many parking options are available around DTW. The airport also has short and long-term parking options at North and McNamara Terminals. The passengers can find the parking option at the McNamara Terminal and in the Big Blue Deck, charges may apply. The North Terminal also has a Big Blue Deck and a Green parking lot nearby. Visitors can also choose from a variety of Qwik Park lots near the hotel.
Many travelers choose to park and ride at a nearby hotel. Most hotels are located near Merriman Road and I-94 and offer a safe parking option with an overnight stay. The Westin at the McNamara Terminal also offers a Park & Fly option.
Where To Eat At Airport
The travelers can find the better option at the both McNamara Terminal and the North Terminal.
- In McNamara, Plum Market is best for a grab or you can go with sandwiches or Cat Cora’s Taproom for boozy milkshakes.
- The North Terminal has options of healthier food at National Coney Island and Natural Break for everyone.
Both terminals have Detroit-themed restaurants and shopping. They also recommend an app called Grab to prepay and order ahead. You can find the many concessions and dining options at 5 AM, specially available for early-morning travelers. DTW also has many water bottle filling stations in the terminals for your convenience.
Where To Relax At Airport
If your flight is delayed or out of time and due to that your layover is extended, then there are plenty of relaxation options where you can take nap for few hours.
- If you are hoping for a relaxing massage, then the McNamara Terminal has two Be Relax locations.
- If you want some workout, then the Westin has a fitness studio with a fitness center, swimming pool, and showers.
- A security checkpoint is located nearby, so travelers do not have to return to the ticketing counter. T
- The PGA Pro Shop is also available at McNamara Terminal, where visitors can wait for their flight.
- For peace and quiet, both the McNamara and North terminals have rooms for prayer, yoga, or meditation. The McNamara room is located at the outside of the TSA checkpoints, and the North Terminal room near Gate D-16.
- For longer layovers, the Westin offers a Room for a Day, so visitors can sleep and shower. Rooms are available from 9 AM to 6 PM on weekdays and weekends.