Hop on the toy trains in India and add excitement to your journey. India’s toy trains are small trains which run along beautiful scenic places and make the journeys really worthwhile. Make sure you keep your camera with yourself and click the scenic views while traveling. The joy of train travel cannot be explained in the words. Here are some routes to enjoy the toy train journeys in India.
Kalka-Shimla Railway in Himachal Pradesh:
Kalka-Shimla Railway is a famous route for the journey to Shimla. The journey starts from Kalka station and runs for Shimla which is around 2076 meter above sea level.
- The whole journey of around 96 km consists of railway stations, 103 tunnels, 800 bridges, and 900 curves.
- The journey takes around 5 hours and consists of spectacular scenery and fascinating sightseeing.
Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in West Bengal:-
It is the oldest mountain railway in India. The journey starts from Eastern Himalayas to hills of Darjeeling.
- The whole journey of around 80 km consists of five major and around 500 minor bridges. The journey takes around 7 hours, but the route of 2 hours from Ghoom to Darjeeling is very famous for tourists.
- Most beautiful sightseeing place is Batasia Loop from where you can have the 360-degree view of Darjeeling’s landscape. Batasia Loop lies in between the highest point of route (7400 above sea level) “Ghoom” and Darjeeling.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway in Tamil Nadu:
Nilgiri Mountain Railway is also known as Ooty toy train. The journey of 5 hours starts from the station Mettupalayam to Coonoor.
- The journey of 46 km consists of around 16 tunnels and 250 bridges. Enjoy the magnificent view of the valley during the journey.
- People take this route to visit famous tea gardens of Coonoor. Here you can discover Nilgiri tea.
Matheran Hill Railway in Maharashtra:
The Matheran toy train travels from Neral to Matheran and takes around 2 hours.
- The whole journey of 21 km includes the view of shady greenery and peaceful places. The journey goes through steep slope and reaches 2,600 feet above sea level.
- The route is carved in between the Western Ghats; the scenery in the route changes from grassy slopes to shady tree-covered hills.
Kangra Valley Railway in Himachal Pradesh:
The train runs between Pathankot and Joginder Nagar and passes via Kangra and Palampur.
- The journey of 164 km takes around 9 to 10 hours to complete. You can see the most scenic views of snowcapped Dalhousie hills and deep blue rivers flowing by the side of the train track.
The train passes through many small stations which connect to many popular tourist destinations nearby such as Dharamshala and Kangra.